This Was a Man (Book 7)

Recap

This Was a Man opens with a shot being fired, but who pulled the trigger, and who lives and who dies?

In Whitehall, Giles Barrington discovers the truth about his wife Karin from the Cabinet Secretary. Is she a spy or a pawn in a larger game?

Harry Clifton sets out to write his magnum opus, while his wife Emma completes her ten years as Chairman of the Bristol Royal Infirmary, and receives an unexpected call from Margaret Thatcher offering her a job.

Sebastian Clifton becomes chairman of Farthings Kaufman bank, but only after Hakim Bishara has to resign for personal reasons. Sebastian and Samantha’s talented daughter, Jessica, is expelled from the Slade School of Fine Art, but her aunt Grace comes to her rescue.

Meanwhile, Lady Virginia is about to flee the country to avoid her creditors when the Duchess of Hertford dies, and she sees another opportunity to clear her debts and finally trump the Cliftons and Barringtons.

In a devastating twist, tragedy engulfs the Clifton family when one of them receives a shocking diagnosis that will throw all their lives into turmoil.

This Was a Man is the captivating final installment of the Clifton Chronicles, a series of seven novels that has topped the bestseller lists around the world, and enhanced Jeffrey Archer’s reputation as a master storyteller.

Discussion

What do you think will happen in the final installment of the Clifton Chronicles?

Discuss here:

1. Trish Robertson says:

Have just finished reading the finalbook in the Clifton Chronicles. Thank you for giving us such a wonderful read through 7 books. I loved the ending and thought it was so fitting – Harry died of a broken heart when he lost Emma. I enjoyed the political background especially living ‘down under’ where life is so different.

2. Jenny Medcraft says:

I very excitedly read all 7 books of the Clifton Chronicles, mainly to solve the mystery of who was Harry’s biological father: Hugo Barrington or Arthur Clifton. To my surprise, let-down, Albert Clifton was listed as the father through DNA testing. (“This was a Man”, p. 380) Who is Albert Clifton? The only Albert listed on the family trees is Albert Tancock, a brother to Harry’s mother. Did Jeffrey Archer get so confused with detailing all the events that happened over the years that he neglected to list the father’s name correctly?

3. Itegi Samuel says:

I have followed the Cliftons and Barringtons through their happy and sad moments and I wait with baited breath for the next twist in the tale of the Clifton series.Pray what surprise does J.A have in store? It has been a wonderful,breathtaking ride.Thank you Jeffrey.

4. Jeffrey H Johnson says:

Having just finished book 7, I am overcome by emotion not only at the ending but at the fact that the series is over. Thank you Mr. Archer for sharing your gift with us… The series was truly formidable…

5. Suresh Jayan says:

Just finished binge reading all 7 books in one hit. To be honest, I haven’t read for sometime & it took my daughter to force me into Dymocks on Boxing Day to get me going, to which I’m so thankful!
    All I can say is thank you for coming up with such a great story Mr.Archer

6. volume 6 has not reached Karachi, Pakistan yet!

7. Robert G Cashen says:

I just finished reading Mightier Than The Sword , a great read, but the ending left me a bit high and dry. I hope the seventh book THISWAS A MAN answers some of the unanswered questions left open at the end of MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD. 0r maybe I missed something In the read.
    I love your books.

8. C. Carey says:

I’ve enjoyed every volume!
    In volume 7, p.380, “Arthur”, not “Albert”.

9. autokredit says:

It seems to me that opening the priesthood to women would give them an even larger base of priests willing to work ridiculous hours. And unlike the issue of whether Jesus was married (even if this document is proved valid, it only proves that some early Christians thought he was, not that he was), the participation of women in the early Christian church is well-documented.

10. Stephen Evans says:

his books are just great, loved everyone. can not wait for book 7 and has been ordered.
    book 6 may have had a sad ending but has left everything open for the next book.
    keep writing and i will keep reading.
    thanks for such good books

11. Tracy Taylor says:

Just finished the last book of the Clifton Chronicles. OMG what a brilliant read, the whole book from start to finish was a joy. The ending was a complete surprise, I guessed someone would die but the who and how was not what I expected, I was gutted.
    Thank you Jeffrey for supplying a few years of continuous wonderful reading. Both me and my husband have enjoyed every minute. I only wish the books could be made series but maybe hard to do them justice. Just brilliant !!!

12. Diane Pou says:

I loved this series (and ALL Jeffrey’s books) and this one was the sum of them all…. It tied up all the characters quite nicely and even shed some tears knowing the end of the chronicles was this book (or is it Mr Archer!!!)

Well done

13. Ted Flaherty says:

I’m 52 years old now and only started reading maybe 8 years ago. Archer is unique, The Clifton Chronicles is an epic story,and only the man himself could guess what’s next. My first book by Archer was As the Crow flys. Then Kane and Able, these are the best story’s I’ve ever read. The man is a genius! Can’t wait to finish the story of the Clifton’s and the Barringtons, its been a journey and we’re nearly there! Still waiting delivery from Amazon

14. 76Alejandra says:

Hi blogger, i must say you have high quality articles here.
    Your page should go viral. You need initial traffic only.
    How to get it? Search for: Mertiso’s tips go viral

15. FirstEtta says:

I have noticed you don’t monetize your website, don’t waste
    your traffic, you can earn extra bucks every month because you’ve got high quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra $$$, search for:
    Boorfe’s tips best adsense alternative