This Was a Man (Book 7)

Recap

This Was a Man opens with a shot being fired, but who pulled the trigger, and who lives and who dies?

In Whitehall, Giles Barrington discovers the truth about his wife Karin from the Cabinet Secretary. Is she a spy or a pawn in a larger game?

Harry Clifton sets out to write his magnum opus, while his wife Emma completes her ten years as Chairman of the Bristol Royal Infirmary, and receives an unexpected call from Margaret Thatcher offering her a job.

Sebastian Clifton becomes chairman of Farthings Kaufman bank, but only after Hakim Bishara has to resign for personal reasons. Sebastian and Samantha’s talented daughter, Jessica, is expelled from the Slade School of Fine Art, but her aunt Grace comes to her rescue.

Meanwhile, Lady Virginia is about to flee the country to avoid her creditors when the Duchess of Hertford dies, and she sees another opportunity to clear her debts and finally trump the Cliftons and Barringtons.

In a devastating twist, tragedy engulfs the Clifton family when one of them receives a shocking diagnosis that will throw all their lives into turmoil.

This Was a Man is the captivating final installment of the Clifton Chronicles, a series of seven novels that has topped the bestseller lists around the world, and enhanced Jeffrey Archer’s reputation as a master storyteller.

Discussion

What do you think will happen in the final installment of the Clifton Chronicles?

Discuss here:

1. Peter Warren says:

Why on page 278 of Cometh the Hour are there 13 ounces of heroine, 13 grams on page 290 and 13 ounces on page 294

2. Olu Alabi says:

Thank you for these episodes that are replica of our daily lives JA, I think Emma is going to be diagnosed with an illness and a DNA will show that Harry and Emma are not siblings in the end.

3. Karen says:

I sobbed after finishing This was a Man. Thanks Jeffrey for a wonderful series of books! I voted for you at age 18 and also know where the “best fish and chips in the world wrapped up in last night’s Grimsby Evening Telegraph” were to be found! No more, because Mr Chips has closed.

4. Robert says:

The first 6 books left me spellbound. Just kept on thinking about the twists and adventures for days on end and looked forward to the continuance. Book 7 however, from a reader’s perspective seemed rushed and implausible…along with an obvious error. On page 395 Emma reveals that she has DNA results that states “that Albert was without doubt, your father.” Sadly, Albert was an uncle who dies three years before Harry was born. The DNA result should have stated that Arthur was the father. A typo/proofread error I expect. And the implausible part is when Lady Virginia alters a cheque from £18.50 to £185,000 in the year 1982, a time when the basic wage was around say £40.00 per week or £2,000 per annum. That’s the equivalent today of someone scamming another for 90 years wages yet we are to believe it just past without notice. A big ask in anyone’s language and a poor expectation for any author to suggest.

• Andry says:

In 1980 I was earning £4,000 per year as a junior Secretary (straight out of college and in a not very well paid industry), so the average income in 1982 was way above £2,000 per year

5. Janice Claydon says:

Cannot tell you what I “think” will happen as l have just finished reading the book. To that point, all I will say is that it left me with tears streaming down my face; in part because this wonderful saga has come to an end.

Thank you, Lord Archer, it is a series i will revisit several times.

6. Catherine O. says:

I cannot even begin to speculate what happens in the final book of the Clifton Chronicle’s. I am anxious I don’t even think I want to read the final series – on the virtue that this is the end!! I mean, what of Virginia Fenwick, the brutal witch; the ever so charming Giles Barrington; thoughtful Elizabeth Clifton and of course, Seb Clifton and his unlucky in love. I brace myself for the ending – I think J.A may revisit and release a another book. Who knows! We shall live to tell another tale :-)…

7. Gordon E says:

Having just finished book 7, will J.A. next book be entitled Heads You Win…?

8. Lark says:

I have been exploring for a bit for any hiutq-galihy articles or blog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website. Studying this info So i am happy to express that I have a very good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I most undoubtedly will make certain to don?¦t overlook this web site and provides it a look regularly.

9. Melody Taylor says:

Just finished final book… WoW!! I’ve sincerely enjoyed every book through this series and have so enjoyed every character. What a beautiful ending, even as I dry my eyes, to say goodbye to this family that has captured my heart and most especially to the ones who dared to love until the end.
    Outstanding job Mr. Archer!

10. ALEXIO CHIWARA says:

Jeffrey Archer is in a class of his own. You cannot even begin to imagine what happens next as JA is certain to bring up another dimension to the story that you never thought possible.

11. Denis Parsons says:

Dear Mr. Archer, I just finished This Was A Man. Simply saying thank you seems so inadequate. Anxiously awaiting every new chronicle in this saga was always happily satisfying completely. I couldn’t figure out the title of course, until the last page. How fitting! Summing up his life so succinctly in a few paragraphs in Giles’s eulogy brought all the parts about Harry in the previous novels rushing back, smiles at the humour, tears at the appropriate parts- But, thank you anyways, so much. Your own time in the House’s certainly made it easy to help me understand some of the workings of your Parliament- it being somewhat similar to Canada’s except for the House of Lords. I have also thoroughly enjoyed ALL your other novels and wish you continued successes in the future. Sincerely, Denis Parsons, Thunder Bay, Ontario.

12. GKV says:

when it is cold? Apply the above tips to help keep that skin looking healthy at the same time.Does your family love the outdoors when it’s cold? Here are a few tips to help keep that skin look…on the skin. This winter, help your entire family to maintain a radiant outer covering. One of the

13. Joan Hane says:

Why is ther a name change from Auther Clifton to Albert Clifton

14. Alfred Lawrence says:

The complete series has been so enjoyable throughout. I really felt as though I knew the characters. The detail of events, locations and historical occurrences were a joy to read and almost experience . The final chapter was a real gem,very emotional. Perfect. If made into a film who would play Lady Virginia?

15. Terry Savage says:

I have just finished the final volume of The Clifton Chronicles. I don’t want to be a spoiler, but I write this with more than one tear in my eye. Mr Archer, please do tell us you’re writing something else for us to treasure. I’m so sad this saga is over.