Mightier Than the Sword (Book 5)

Recap

Mightier than the Sword opens with an IRA bomb exploding during the MV Buckingham’s maiden voyage across the Atlantic—but how many passengers lose their lives?

When Harry Clifton visits his publisher in New York, he learns that he has been elected as the new president of English PEN, and immediately launches a campaign for the release of a fellow author, Anatoly Babakov, who’s imprisoned in Siberia. Babakov’s crime? Writing a book called Uncle Joe, a devastating insight into what it was like to work for Stalin. So determined is Harry to see Babakov released and the book published, that he puts his own life in danger.

His wife Emma, chairman of Barrington Shipping, is facing the repercussions of the IRA attack on theBuckingham. Some board members feel she should resign, and Lady Virginia Fenwick will stop at nothing to cause Emma’s downfall.

Sir Giles Barrington is now a minister of the Crown, and looks set for even higher office, until an official trip to Berlin does not end as a diplomatic success. Once again, Giles’s political career is thrown off balance by none other than his old adversary, Major Alex Fisher, who once again stands against him at the election. But who wins this time?

In London, Harry and Emma’s son, Sebastian, is quickly making a name for himself at Farthing’s Bank in London, and has proposed to the beautiful young American, Samantha. But the despicable Adrian Sloane, a man interested only in his own advancement and the ruin of Sebastian, will stop at nothing to remove his rival.

Jeffrey Archer’s compelling Clifton Chronicles continue in this, his most accomplished novel to date. With all the trademark twists and turns that have made him one of the world’s most popular authors, the spellbinding story of the Clifton and the Barrington families continues.

1. Sayak Chatterjee says:

Like always. Brilliant. And so many twists to make it a page turner. I hope the next book be even better. Sir Archer is sure to have planned a surprise ahead, which we can not easily crack up. As for me I wasn’t disappointed and is looking forward for another grand sequel. Good luck

2. Babu Meleth says:

I read almost all books of Sir JA. But clifton chronicles should have completed by now. Who knows who exists and who doesn’t when the next #6 comes out. This is not good to prolong the ending like this.

3. J L Boss says:

Jeffrey Archer is at the top of my favorite’s list. Just when I thought he surely couldn’t get any better, I read MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD. WOW!! And what a cliffhanger…going to be hard to wait for #6 in 2016…maybe he and his publishers will be able to get it out early!!

4. Judy Nelson says:

Finished the book this morning. Sir JA is one of my favorites. Every one of his books has left me on the edge of my seat. Disappointed to have to wait so long for number six but I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

5. Devanshi Mittal says:

how could you end this book with a suspense to be known in the next book which will be published in the year later?? Shit!!! I read this book to know the end :/ I dont like you much 🙁 I want to know what happenssss!!!

6. Marianne Ille says:

I have been a JA reader fan for over thirty years, and absolutely love this series, I also thought it was supposed to be only 5 novels so I was aghast this morning when I came to the end, I am relieved to see here that more is supposed to be on the way. Can’t wait. I agree with 2 of the comments above, first about Maize and secondly about how the school found Seb’s name and address when he did not give it. Certainly though not huge issues for me. Just ordered some JA books from long ago that I want to reread and are no longer on my local library shelves.

7. Desiree says:

Just finished the book as well and was totally surprised. Don’t know if I can wait until next year. Loved it though, kept me on my toes. Other then having to deal with the horrible Lady Fenwick yet again, what will we have to look forward to.

8. Cathy Pierce says:

Although I have read several of Jeffrey Archer’s other books, this is the first in the Clifton Chronicles that I encountered. I picked it up because it was a new book in the library and did not realize it is part of a series. I am looking forward to reading the other chronicles.

9. Karen Darris says:

I have enjoyed all the books in this series. Can’t wait to see who has the letter and what it says. Also hope Seb reconnects with Sam!!

10. Christine W says:

loved Mightier than the Sword and was wondering how it was going to tie everything together in the last few pages…until I got to the end. I too thought it was a 5 book series. PLEASE, don’t make us wait another year for the next installment…

11. Matthew says:

I really enjoyed Mighter than the sword. Really enjoying reading Archer’s books again.

12. Bernard McCabe says:

I enjoyed reading this book very much as i do with all his books..This book was extra special as i read it while on the QM2 ….and the thing about Seb address. .he is a banker so i am quite sure he would of left his card with the roses !! Yes it will be another long 12 months till the next book..i do most of my reading on my phone so i never really know when a book is about to finish and like everyone else here i did think this was the last book so i was very surprised when it finished but not to worry now i know that there is more to come ☺

13. Mdroyal says:

I started 2 weeks ago with book one on the audiobook and am halfway through book five. As much as I’m happy there will be 2 more books I’m not looking forward to waiting 12 months to listen to the next one. This series has been a wonderful experience and I’m very glad that I didn’t have to wait a year to find out what happened between book 4 and 5. I’d have been rather angry at the ending of book 4 with no closure whatsoever and knowing something huge had just happened without a clue of the outcome.

14. retiredone says:

Here it is, 1:40 am and I just finished book 5. I don’t know whether I’m mad or glad. What a way to finish. What if I slip on a banana peel and die. I’ll never know what was in that letter.

15. Sir JA cannot wait another year to read the 6Th CC.5 Books are gem.
    Daniel.India